   Re: [xml-dev] XML Technologies: Progress via Simplification or Complexif

Roger L. Costello wrote:

>I think that the distinction between complication and complexity is a
>useful one.  I welcome your suggestions on a better definition of the two
>terms (or even different terms).

You might want to check out the (immensely readable) work by Chaitin on
complexity [1]. He basically boils pretty much everything down to
minimum LOC:

[[
The basic idea of algorithmic information theory (AIT) is that a
scientific theory is a computer program, and the smaller, the more
concise the program is, the better the theory!"
]]

One nice idea I came across somewhere in his stuff went something like
-  new theories always seem really complicated and difficult when first
expressed, but later someone usually comes along and expresses the
theory in a more suitable language and it all appears simple, even obvious.

"Elegant" might be another good word to add to your list.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://www.umcs.maine.edu/~chaitin/

--