   Re: [xml-dev] Early Draft Review: XQuery for Java (JSR 225)

> > 3. Redesigning the API affects the format of the data stream passed between
the
> > XQJ client and the XQuery engine. (disagree here?)
>
> Completely disagree.

Assume postText() is an API we use for HTTP POSTs. Someone decides its more
efficient to use compression instead of sending uncompressed HTML or XML across
the wire. We decide to use LZW compression and replace the postText() String
argument with a binary string or BLOB.

How does that API change not affect the format of the data passed between the
browser (web client) and the web server?

The same priniciple applies for passing queries -- some API changes will alter
the format of the data passed between clients and servers.