   an XQuery API for Java

Michael Kay wrote:

>>Burak Emir wrote:
>>

>> do they
>>even have a publically available Java API ?
>>

>FYI, there is a summary of Saxon's XQuery API at
>http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/using-xquery/embedding.html

Thanks for the link. I used saxon for XSLT transforms, but never looked
at its API.

So you use XQuery strings, too. Looks like least common denominators are
what make industry standards.

>To be frank, supplying the query is the easy part. The challenging bit is
>how to return the results.

People will probably agree to never agree on a uniform Infoset
representation in Java (because there is too much to be gained by
deviating from the Infoset standard, e.g. by omitting the superfluous
namespace-prefixes).

Why don't you just return a string - I have been told it has very
pragmatic benefits ;->

More seriously, why don't you return an net.sf.saxon.om.NodeInfo or
SequenceIterator and let the caller make a wrapper if he wants to?

The query result from Saxon will be in-memory anyways, and isn't every
XQuery expression returning some tree node (or sequence thereof)?

Burak