   RE: [xml-dev] parent axis

> Surprisingly I found out that the parent axis is considered a
> reverse axis
> in XQuery and XPath 2.0, but is considered a forward axis in
> XPath 1.0. Why
> does this terminology have to be such ambiguous?

Since the parent axis can only every contain zero or one nodes, it makes no
difference whether you think of it as forwards or backwards. The people
doing the XQuery formal semantics found it more elegant to classify all the
axes that select nodes that are after the context node in document order as
forwards, and those that select nodes that are before the context node as
reverse. It makes no difference.

Michael Kay