   Re: [xml-dev] Edi complexity, does ebxml really reduce it?

You're right Mike. I'll reproduce the questions below and answer them
here:

>  Whenever one examines one of the ebxml specs or reads an article on the subject
>  there is likely to be a reference to how edi had problems with being accepted
> because it was too complex, but luckily ebxml, being based on xml, solves all
> this

Not completely, but it can make usage of EDI easier (please read on).

> A very suspect class of assertion it seems like to me. I'm wondering if
> anyone who has familiarity with these technologies can clarify exactly how and
> in what ways ebxml reduces the complexity of edi.

In general, ebXML is "payload agnostic" - so the payload can be XML,
EDI, binary files, etc. So the degree to which it reduces the complexity
of EDI depends on how much of an improvement the "ebXML approach" and
tools might be over those for EDI (a subjective judgment, IMO). There is
also a great lack (IMO) of ebXML tools/products available, and still a
good amount of EDI tools/products - so that factors in. There is also
the factor of product price, which would require a detailed comparison
that I have not done (and I am not aware of anythat exists).

> Basically my understanding is that ebxml just wrapped the edi model in xml, so I
> have a hard time seeing how it could be simpler.
>
> Also am wondering about CPAs in Ebxml, it strikes me that this process could
> actually be somewhat onerous, does anyone know of any case studies etc. on
> problems with making CPAs between two companies?

CPAs in general represent the system features that are agreed upon -
electronically or non - by two trading partners. CPAs include various
paramters/settings (pick favorite word) that relate to security,
messaging, business process specification, etc. Whether the process is
onerous or not comes down (mostly) to the tools that are available, and
how easily they automate the process.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

--
Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano