   Re: [xml-dev] Edi complexity, does ebxml really reduce it?

>There was originally some hope that ebXML specifications
>could be used to produce a solution more attractive to
>small and medium sized businesses that would be less
>trouble to use. Probably this would require forms-based
>applications, with options to save in desktop formats
>( .txt, .xml, .csv, .xls, etc).

This is one approach I've never understood, and I've seen a few, EDI
applications "targeted" to SMEs (Small and Medium sized Enterprises) that
require a user to key data into a form that spits out an EDI document, like
an 850 PO. Why on earth would an SME want to key in data into yet another
application just to produce an EDI document? If you have an EDI system
target to small businesses, then that system should integrate with the
applications of that SME and be able extract/import the necessary EDI data.
Otherwise, you're just making life even more difficult for SMEs and giving
them yet another reason to hate computers...

Just my 2 cents...

Bryce K. Nielsen
SysOnyx, Inc. (www.sysonyx.com)
Makers of xmlLinguist, the EDI-to-XML Translator
http://www.sysonyx.com/products/xmllinguist