   RE: [xml-dev] What is the rule for parsing XML in a namespace inside HTM

  • To: "Michael Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>,"XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What is the rule for parsing XML in a namespace inside HTML?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:05:43 -0700

All of these are screen scraping. You are just describing different
things you could do with the scraped data. Bottom line, the only
justification the XHTML folks like ERH can give for Google, Amazon or my
weblog going to XHTML from HTML is that they can use XSLT, XQuery and
XOM to screen scrape the website. Of course, in all 3 cases the website
owner has given alternate XML sources for data the user would like to
screen scrape (Google Web Services, Amazon Web Services, my RSS feed). I
personally think using HTML for presenation and specific XML sources for
extracting content makes a lot more sense than trying to munge it all
into one interface via XHTML.

Joshua is right, XHTML was a stopgap. Many have confused the means to an
end to the end itself.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
The information you have is not the information you need.

rights.