   RE: [xml-dev] What is the rule for parsing XML in a namespace inside HTM

  • To: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>,"Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What is the rule for parsing XML in a namespace inside HTML?
  • From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@STJUDE.ORG>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:06:15 -0500
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> asks:

<snip>part of an endless discussion</snip>

> But tell me please, why would I invent my own markup language
> rather than using XHTML 1.0 and some class attributes? As far
> as I can see, the only difference would be syntax, so your
> XML+XSLT+CSS thing's only use case seems to be ease of screen
> scraping, or whatever you want to call it.

Indeed. Given that XHTML+XSLT+CSS is XML+XSLT+CSS I fail to see what the
issue is?  Yes, XHTML may be a confusing set of semantics, but if you
want XML then using XHTML gives you a way of presenting your XML on the
Web. Maybe it's not perfect, but as has been pointed out perhaps 100
times in this thread, it's easier for your average web author than any
other form of XML+XSLT+CSS.

> And as that is not
> a good enough to switch from format A to B, I still fail to
> get your point.
>
> >If you just want presentation, use HTML. If you want to provide data
> >for others to consume mechanically then provide them with
> XML data that
> >best meets their needs instead of munging it into some frankenstein
> >HTML envelope and sprinkling the XML magic pixie dust over it and
> >calling it XHTML.
>
> Probably, but why would you deliver such data to web
> browsers? We are talking about web browsers here, aren't we?

Yes and every other consumer of Web based data (thus the cross purposes
discussion, sigh)...