   RE: [xml-dev] [urgent] Announcement: new W3C XQuery/Xpath Full-Text w

> >          can u please help me in finding good and latest
> implementation strategies of XQuery..
> > i.e any research papers on implementing xquery...

There seems to be an assumption sometimes made in academic circles that you
can discover the state of the art in a particular technology area by looking
in the research literature. This is often not the case. If your enquiry were
about XSLT, for example, you would find that academia was very slow to take
an interest in the language, and that the most advanced implementations have
published almost no details of how they work. There has been more academic
interest in XQuery than in XSLT (because it slots into a recognized academic
subject area, database query languages) and some of the leading
implementations come from research organisations (such as IPSI in Germany
and AT&T in the US), but it's still true that to find out about
implementation strategies, you need to look beyond the academic world and
make contact with industrial vendors.

Fortunately in the XML world there are a number of conferences where
academia and industry are both well represented. (This is very different
from my experience of database technology where the two worlds rarely meet.)
These conferences do not rate very highly on the traditional academic
criteria, for example their proceedings are sometimes published only as
powerpoint slides, but it is at these venues that you get a chance to find
out what industry is actually doing. For example, you might find the paper I
gave at XML Europe 2004 interesting. It's written in XSLT/XPath terms
because the user community for those languages is far larger, but Saxon uses
the same engine to implement XQuery so most of it applies equally to XQuery:
there's a copy at http://www.saxonica.com/papers/xslt_xpath.pdf

Michael Kay
Saxonica