   RE: [xml-dev] Question for updating existing XML file

> OW> If all the parsing is done server-side, why does it
> matter?

Because, in general, using any technology for something it wasn't designed
for is going to give you problems unless you tread very carefully.

> I would suggest that the "document" metaphor fits perfectly for a
> PurchaseOrder, CustomerProfile, Product Catalog and other
> like business
> objects.

I agree. And my recommendation to people designing XML databases is to map
business objects to XML documents on a one-to-one basis wherever possible.

> So am I storing documents? Yes.
> Am I using XML instead of a database? Yes

No, you are using an XML database. Quite a different matter. And you are not
doing what I was advising against, which is to store a million invoices in
one XML document, and then wonder how to do in-situ update. If you store
business documents as XML documents in an XML database, you often find that
they are immutable, so the problem does not arise.

Michael Kay