   Re: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in

while i already have a stated position on the dangers of overly strict
checking systems - i like to see easy to spot errors so i can get a
measure of how many hard to see errors are in the system - i do think
there is a very important and valid role for it systems to implement and
enforce business rules.

while this is not necessarily the same as constraint checking - indeed
it can be much more complex - it is something that makes our systems
more than just data/document repositories and number crunchers.

i have any number of examples of where there has been a supposed system
failure, only to find on investigation it has been a breaking of the
business rules and the it system is the warning system to management
that something needs to be investigated.

rick