OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help



   Re: [xml-dev] BEEP || SOAP?

[ Lists Home | Date Index | Thread Index ]

Below I've copy/pasted some e-mails from a BEEP thread from July 2003,
on the Washington DC XML Users Group listserv (the listserv may have
archives, but I could not see an archives link from the site). It's an
e-mail from me summarizing BEEP, in response to another e-mail below
that that provided some excellent information. I reference a
SOAP-over-BEEP spec, which helps answer your main question.

This information was current as of then - but I'm not certain that it
still is. Hope it helps.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

Subject: Re: [DC-XMLUsers] XML Insanity
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:35:26 -0400
From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
Organization: BAH
To: Walter Houser <houser@cpcug.org>
CC: Xmlusers <dc-xmlusers@eccnet.com>

Additional information on BEEP (adding to the excellent information

- BEEP (Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol [1]) is a
connection-oriented, channel-based peer-to-peer (P2P) message exchange

- Its most common transport is TCP [2]

- While HTTP exists at the Application layer (of the OSI protocol
stack), BEEP exists at a lower layer. Some say that it exists at the
Presentation layer (just below the Application layer), while others say
it exists at the Session layer (2 layers below the Application layer).

- All BEEP messages exchanges occur in the context of a "channel" that
has an associated "profile" that defines the syntax and semantics of the
messages exchanged;

- BEEP allows multiple channels* to be in use simultaneously over a
single transport stream (a "multiplexing" capability); this can be seen
as an advantage over HTTP

- There is a SOAP-over-BEEP specification [3]

- BEEP implementations and projects can be found at [4]

* According to RFC 2080, a BEEP peer should support at least 257
concurrent channels

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3080.txt
[2] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3081.html
[3] http://rfc-3288.rfc-index.com/
[4] http://www.beepcore.org/beepcore/projects.jsp

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Walter Houser wrote:
> BEEP (aka BXXP) is correctly shown as a web services protocol analogous to
> SOAP. BEEP was developed by Marshall Rose under the auspices of the IETF.
> http://www.bxxp.org/beepcore/home.jsp
> "Q. What's difference between SOAP and BEEP?
> "A. Briefly, SOAP = XML + RPC + HTTP. Less briefly, SOAP is an RPC
> that uses XML for encoding and prefers HTTP for transport. BEEP is a
> framework for writing application protocols that are message-oriented,
> may, or may not, use XML.
> RPC-based applications tend to be tightly coupled; message-oriented
> applications tend to be loosely coupled. There's a spectrum there, but the
> edges are pretty sharp, c.f., Section 2 of
> http://www.bxxp.org/beepcore/docs/beep-design.jsp#anchor2  However, the
> question to ask is whether it makes sense to define a BEEP profile that
> SOAP. http://www.bxxp.org/beepcore/docs/beep-soap.jsp Outside of the
> increase in performance and reliability, you probably wouldn't notice the
> difference.  From http://www.bxxp.org/beepcore/about_qanda.jsp
> Thanks, Walt Houser

bry@itnisk.com wrote:
> I haven't looked at BEEP in a long time, I just dropped by there and saw the
> number of implementations had grown quite a bit
> http://www.beepcore.org/prodproj.html , any opinions as to where BEEP stands in
> relation to the web services stack, given that BEEP is for protocol construction
> and SOAP can be argued to be for protocol construction; if REST is better for
> 80% of what SOAP is used for, what percentage of the remaining 20% could beep be
> considered better for. In other words I have an axe, and am looking for good
> grinding tools.
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> The xml-dev list is sponsored by XML.org <http://www.xml.org>, an
> initiative of OASIS <http://www.oasis-open.org>
> The list archives are at http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
> To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list use the subscription
> manager: <http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/index.php>

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton


News | XML in Industry | Calendar | XML Registry
Marketplace | Resources | MyXML.org | Sponsors | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2001 XML.org. This site is hosted by OASIS