Subject: Re: [DC-XMLUsers] XML Insanity
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:35:26 -0400
From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
To: Walter Houser <houser@cpcug.org>
CC: Xmlusers <dc-xmlusers@eccnet.com>

Additional information on BEEP (adding to the excellent information
below):

- BEEP (Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol [1]) is a
connection-oriented, channel-based peer-to-peer (P2P) message exchange
protocol;

- Its most common transport is TCP [2]

- While HTTP exists at the Application layer (of the OSI protocol
stack), BEEP exists at a lower layer. Some say that it exists at the
Presentation layer (just below the Application layer), while others say
it exists at the Session layer (2 layers below the Application layer).

- All BEEP messages exchanges occur in the context of a "channel" that
has an associated "profile" that defines the syntax and semantics of the
messages exchanged;

- BEEP allows multiple channels* to be in use simultaneously over a
single transport stream (a "multiplexing" capability); this can be seen
as an advantage over HTTP

- There is a SOAP-over-BEEP specification [3]

- BEEP implementations and projects can be found at [4]

* According to RFC 2080, a BEEP peer should support at least 257
concurrent channels

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3080.txt
[2] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3081.html
[3] http://rfc-3288.rfc-index.com/
[4] http://www.beepcore.org/beepcore/projects.jsp

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Walter Houser wrote:

> BEEP (aka BXXP) is correctly shown as a web services protocol analogous to
> SOAP. BEEP was developed by Marshall Rose under the auspices of the IETF.
> http://www.bxxp.org/beepcore/home.jsp
>
> "Q. What's difference between SOAP and BEEP?
>
> "A. Briefly, SOAP = XML + RPC + HTTP. Less briefly, SOAP is an RPC
mechanism
> that uses XML for encoding and prefers HTTP for transport. BEEP is a
> framework for writing application protocols that are message-oriented,
which
> may, or may not, use XML.
> RPC-based applications tend to be tightly coupled; message-oriented
> applications tend to be loosely coupled. There's a spectrum there, but the
> edges are pretty sharp, c.f., Section 2 of
> http://www.bxxp.org/beepcore/docs/beep-design.jsp#anchor2  However, the
real
> question to ask is whether it makes sense to define a BEEP profile that
does
> SOAP. http://www.bxxp.org/beepcore/docs/beep-soap.jsp Outside of the
> increase in performance and reliability, you probably wouldn't notice the
> difference.  From http://www.bxxp.org/beepcore/about_qanda.jsp
>
> Thanks, Walt Houser
</EMails>