   RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in

  • To: <w3c@drrw.info>, "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in XML schema?
  • From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@STJUDE.ORG>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:07:50 -0500
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

w3c@drrw.info writes:

> Roger,
>
> I don't buy into any of this layering of constraints!!
>
> Look here - its 2004 going on 2005 and we're still all
> thinking like COBOL programmers.  COBOL had copybooks, C had
> .h files and structs, and Java has similar, and now XML is
> supposed to have XSD.  You can add EDI to the list too.
>
> It's bogus IMHO.
>
> The real way forward is to put *context* front and center.
> Context drives and is at the heart of the constraint checking
> - and being able to manage this and make it scalable.

Hmm, talk about deja-vu, you must have been writing this at the same
time I was writing my post to you.  However, I'd partially disagree that
layering of constraints is bogus; it's just one implementation of
context resolution.  I think what you really want to say is that   using
a mix of technologies buys you nothing but extra complexity?

And just to reinforce the point in my other post (since I'm sure I lost
it in excess verbiage).  Context drives more than just validation: it
drives presentation, security and data retrieval as well.

<snip>other things that make sense</snip>