len

From: Joshua Allen [mailto:joshuaa@microsoft.com]

> Some background:  a public safety system can be seen as
> multiple information ecosystems and technologies that
> exchange information to prevent crime, solve crime, and

Yes, people thinking about "systems" often tend to think in terms of a
big machine, and deemphasize the characteristics of a dynamic system of
interacting pieces.  The various and incompatible methods used to hook
all of this stuff together, and the combinatorial complexity leads to
some interesting situations.  The complexity comes in at the
interconnections, and the same complexity that makes it hard to build
the system is what also makes it difficult to stop the hacker who puts
Ted Kennedy's name on the terror watch list three times.