   Re: [xml-dev] are native XML databases needed?

Owen Walcher wrote:

> > etc. (Possibly at this point you add in database constraints that didn't
> > previously exist, turn certain fields non-null, etc.)
>
> Sounds like you are using a relational database to store your XML. Talk
> about an impedance mismatch.  Why even bother with XML in the first place if
> you are shredding it or clobbing it?

Perhaps because you have a system based on a relational database that
has been in use for quite some time, and are using XML to exchange
information with some or all of your trading partners - and you may not
be able to justify ripping and replacing your relational system simply
because an XML database is "better data management technology".

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World