   Re: [xml-dev] Fallacies of Validation ... RE: [xml-dev] Are people reall

There is a lack of dissent here :)

I'm not sure I buy the "there is no single schema" argument. There
are reasons not considered here that you may want a single schema for:

  - As a system contract. Swallow the pain, at least the schema is
  a stable definition.

  - As a surrogate for a legal contract (I'm involved with the FpML
  standard for financial derivatives. Their schema is partly derived
  from legal contract templates and having multiple versions around,
  or letting counterparties mess with it is not something that would
  fly).

While we're on FpML, it's one of the few XML standards that publishes
validation business rules. The rules are published in English and
implementors are expected to stick to them. See

http://www.idealliance.org/papers/dx_xml03/html/abstract/06-02-05.html

for my XML 2003 paper/talk on the subject and http://www.fpml.org for
the rules, published with every release.

regards,

Christian Nentwich

Christian Nentwich
Technical Director, Syste/\/\/ire