From: Michael Kay <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com>
Sent: Aug 25, 2004 10:41 AM
To: 'Linda Grimaldi' <grimlinda@earthlink.net>,
	'Owen Walcher' <xpriori@owenwalcher.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] are native XML databases needed?

> At least with the implementations I am familiar with,  natvie
> XML dbs do their own version of shredding.  Randomly
> accessing XML document contents efficiently requires this.
> Now, their implementations are optimized for XML, an
> important difference from relational approaches, but their
> storage image is far from document form.

I think it's a little far-fetched to treat as equivalent a system with an
internal data structure designed specifically as an implementation of the
hierarchical XML data model, and a system that constructs a tabular
representation using a data model that was never even designed to enable
recursive queries. If you've ever had a corridor conversation with someone
trying to implement mixed content or comments and PIs or namespaces in a
shredded table, you can only feel sorry for the guy.

Michael Kay