   Re: [xml-dev] are native XML databases needed?

I don't think you can argue that traditional relational databases, with
no change, are adequate for XML. Most relational database vendor are
trying to make their database suitable for storing XML, and adding XML
views of their relational data.

But there's a variety of implementations and models for storing XML, and
a lot of innovation is still going on.

In the long run, I think many people will be using XQuery and XML.
Sometimes the storage will be basically relational with XML extensions,
sometimes it will be basically XML with extensions to optimize typical
XQuery operations. But the queries will look rather similar in either
case, and vendors of relational databases and native XML databases will
be working hard on solving many of the same problems.

For now, XML databases do seem to be a niche market. People are very
conservative when it comes to changing their database technology...

Jonathan