   Re: [xml-dev] are native XML databases needed?

On Aug 25, 2004, at 3:26 PM, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> Lockheed Martin (texas) did it for IETMs using SGML.  It
> was a favored design for IETMs.  It wasn't efficient
> for real time use, but for dynamic assembly of a
> deliverable, it worked great.  IOW:
>
> 1.  Author parts in a parts system, typically
>     relational.
>
> 2.  Bind that into an interactive deliverable.

With everything normalized (aka "shredded") down to the level of 1
element/attribute per column?  Back when I was dodging SGML dinosaurs
and doing this kind of thing, the granularity was much higher.  If
we're talking about the relational model, as opposed to pragmatic use
of an RDBMS, I think we have to talk about normalized data.  But I
don't want to get into this particular religious debate, shudder.  My
point isn't that  you can't use an RDBMS as a nice metadata and CLOB
repository for SGML/XML and write code to dynamically generate IETMs,
but for what it's worth  I had a real epiphany when I discovered how
much easier it was to do this with XML DBs.