   RE: Fallacies of Validation ... RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Id

  • To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: Fallacies of Validation ... RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in XML schema?
  • From: "Cox, Bruce" <Bruce.Cox@USPTO.GOV>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:22:39 -0400

1)
We haven't done it yet, but almost from the start of negotiations for a
DTD for patent applications we recognized the need for multiple schema.
Getting a filing date is a key event for an applicant, and current rules
(paper or electronic) are geared to make that as easy as possible.  A
fee must be paid to get a filing date, but if not paid with the
application, then the a notice is given to cure the deficiency by a
specified date, or the application will be considered abandoned.  If the
fee is paid by that date, the original filing date is secured, and if
not, the applicant has to start over.  There are several other
requirements for filing that follow the same pattern, so when validating
data on the client side at the time of submission, applicants are given
the opportunity to "override" error messages and send the (defective)
application anyway.  At later stages of processing, validation is more
stringent, and different versions of the DTD or schema will ensure that
human input can be properly processed by machine at later stages in
prosecution.

2)
If you are integrating legacy systems through an EAI hub, it may be that
the only possible place for schemas and schema validation is at the
outermost edge, that is, the boundary between the systems and the hub.
Migrating legacy systems to newer technology is at least 50% a social
issue, not a technical issue, so I'm not sure it's fair to characterize
this as a fallacy.

3)
For the last one, I'm not sure the "fallacy" is "you must validate" so
much as "you must structure the data".  Markup costs money, but it also
adds value, and if there is no value extracted, then don't pay the price
up front (unless your future is really uncertain and you'd rather incur
a lower cost for structuring now than a potentially much higher cost in
the future).  If you do structure the data, in some cases it will pay to
validate as well.  For example, from the start of automation at the
Trademark Office of the US Patent & Trademark Office, correspondence
addresses were not structured, but captured only as line 1, line 2, etc.
This worked fine until about two years ago when the USPTO wanted to
decrease the cost of sending official notices to trademark applicants
and registrants via US mail.  The USPTO began using a service of the US
Post Office whereby we transmit address/message pairs to them in bulk,
and the Post Office prints postcards near their destination (domestic
only), at a substantial savings to us over the cost of printing,
postage, and moving around big bins of postcards.  To do this, however,
the Trademark Office had to provide addresses that were (minimally)
structured.  It was clearly a cost advantage to go to the expense of
parsing all the addresses (millions of them) to the necessary structure
(we're talking Department of Commerce gold medals, here).  In a case
like this, validating key components of the address (checking against an
address database, for example) before transmitting to USPS ensures
timely delivery of an official notice, and is judged worth the cost.

Bruce B. Cox
SA4XMLT
+1-703-306-2606