   RE: [xml-dev] are native XML databases needed?

Ken North <kennorth@sbcglobal.net> writes

> Bullard, Claude L (Len) <len.bullard@intergraph.com> asks:
>
> > Off topic, but since data warehousing comes up from
> > time to time:  what is the advantage of using
> > an OLAP design vs a relational design?
>
> Peter Hunsberger wrote:
> >> With the exception of the specialized spatial, null compressed,
> >> database
> >> designs, for the most part, OLAP designs are relational
> >> designs just highly denormalized.
>
> Nice summary of the star schema (or not) question.

Thanks.

> Len will have to clarify the question. I thought he was
> asking whether to manage multi-dimensional data sets with a
> non-relational data store or an SQL database (MOLAP, ROLAP or HOLAP?).

Hmm, it looks as though you're right. However, in the next sentence he
asked "Is this advantage better or worse than a triple design?" Since I
don't particularly separate OLAP from relational I thought it must be a
OLAP vs. triple design question.  Then again, maybe it's just that I
find the latter a much more interesting question to ponder...