   Re: [xml-dev] Fallacies of Validation, version #2

Part of the problem, though, is when the people defining the constraints
think they know the requirements of actually performing the activity the
program is supposed to help implement, but really don't;  or in the
example you cite, think the address constraints they define will
actually help deliver the goods, but they actually get in the way.  I
experience this problem quite frequently.  My street "number" (some
other street "numbers" in our neighborhood do too) has a letter in it:
50A Butters Row (don't ask me why:  I'm not responsible for how
addresses are assigned here).  Sometimes a program accepting addresses
won't allow me to enter the letter (or the letter magically becomes an
apartment number, which it isn't;  this is a single-family house),
because the writers of the constraints think they know how addresses are
supposed to look.  Not having a street number that matches the actual
address of the house doesn't help delivery very much.

--Frank