   Re: [xml-dev] Problem parsing a RSS file with XML parser

Pelle Nilsson wrote:

> I am trying to validate a RSS 0.9 document (not created by myself)
> with PHP's DOM parser. The parser can't parse the file,
> because it mistakes the doctype-tag for the root tag. Thus it gives a
> warning about junk after the root tag, and the DOM only contains a
> doctype node.
>
> The validator at http://www.stg.brown.edu/service/xmlvalid/ says that
> it "can't resolve Public ID", so it seems the problem lies in the
> doctype-tag. The strange thing is that the doctype-tag i totally
> identical to what is stated in the RSS 0.91 spec at
> http://my.netscape.com/publish/formats/rss-spec-0.91.html

I tried the doc with the validator you used.  The validator said that
the file is valid.  It also gave the message about the public ID, which
probably indicates that it has no catalog information about it, but that
has no bearing on determining the file's validity, since the dtd is
available at the system id location.

The Topologi markup editor also says it is valid.

Cheers,

Tom P

--
Thomas B. Passin
Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web (Manning Books)