   Re: [xml-dev] XACML Research.

Regarding the future of XACML:

In the past there has been quite a bit of observation (justified, IMO)
regarding overlaps in functionality between SAML and XACML, with regard
to authorization decisions. In the SAML 2.0 Core Specification (OASIS
Committee Draft[1], released 17-Aug-2004), it states on p.29 regarding
the SAML Authorization Decision Statement:

"Note: The <AuthzDecisionStatement> feature has been frozen as of SAML
V2.0, with no future enhancements planned. Users who require additional
functionality may want to consider the eXtensible Access Control Markup
Language [XACML], which offers enhanced authorization decision
features."

This is clearly a great step toward helping ensure that the 2 standards
do not evolve in an overlapping manner for this functionality. One may
interpret this as meaning a brighter future for XACML.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/8823/sstc-saml-2.0-cd-pdf-xsd.zip