   RE: [xml-dev] XACML Research.

From the homeland security perspectives, authorization, provisioning, etc.
play a very important role as does Information Resource Management (aka,
DRM).  So far, semantic web technologies don't.  It is possible they
could in terms of link aggregation and directory services, but not
so far.   RSS could play a role but not so far.  XML is playing a
major role.  The cheap rendering technologies and the use of XML-based
messaging is now and near-term.  The reapplication of business-intelligence
systems to these systems is almost certain.  XACML can play a role but that
decision gets made in the halls of the core technology providers (think
Microsoft, Sun, IBM, Oracle).

Keep in mind, the procurement cycle determines what becomes commercially
available in the near to medium term.  The procurement cycle for public
safety systems (first responder, local and State agency intelligence
gathering, analysis and dissemination, etc.) is about 12 years.  These
are late adopter clients and the use of the public Internet is still
controversial although the use of private networks with Internet
technologies is assured.

len

From: Diego M. Gonzalez [mailto:diegog@lagash.com]

My comment about future of XACML requires some clarification. I was writing
about the long term future of XACML, of course semantic web technologies
requires too much work to finish them and OWL-S is still under discussion.

I think it is very important related to the WebServices technologies and
standards. So I agree with Joseph in XACML brighter future.