   Re: [xml-dev] [Fwd: Potential Gap (WAS Re: [owl-s] communication between

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> It is completely possible to expose the schema or to expose
> an interface schema that middleware then transforms into
> the local schema.  As you say, Thomas, mappings.  BTW, why would I
> need OWL to implement what is essentially a business object?

If you are interested in describing your schema - which could well be
the schema of special views or reports that you provide - you need to
use some language.  Mappings can be constructed when two kinds of
information are known -

1) Identity - which primary key of one entity is equivalent to which key
of another;
2) The semantics of terms and their relationships.

1) is hard, and has no general solution, but only specific ones.  For 2)
why not use some standard language, and if you do that, why not use OWL?
  OWL would not be "implementing" anything, but would contain needed
data for the actual implementer.

Cheers,

Tom P

--
Thomas B. Passin
Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web (Manning Books)