   Re: [xml-dev] Ted Nelson's "XML is Evil"

Michael Kay wrote:

>>and they have to be stored on a medium that is long term
>>accessible. i
>>have lots of stuff on floppy disks, tapes, etc that, while
>>archived, is
>>for intents and purposes inaccessible without a trip to the computer
>>museum. the format is only part of the issue.
>>

>Of course there are many interesting challenges at the level of storage
>media. But I would dispute that your material is archived: an archive is not
>the same as a pile of old stuff in the attic.

inability to read it (it sneaks up on you) converted it from archive to
junk in the attic. the trick with archives is that you don't access them
very often, unless we face up to the formidable task of converting an
exponentially growing archive to new formats every few years. i believe
this must be a real problem for large agencies such as corporate
watchdogs with company records on say 14" laser disk.... very popular at
one time. now we can do it on cd, then dvd, next blue dvd. pdf, jpg,
doc, xml? from one nas to another? makes my head spin.

rick

>Michael Kay

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall