Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 10:15 AM
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] A few general questions about SVG

Find sources such as ESRI data and convert.   ESRI also has a
proprietary XML language for its data, and there is GML (Geometry
Markup Language).   The trick is, as you know, not the geometry
data types, but the layers for feature types (eg, roadways, railways,
etc.).

ESRI is proprietary but a de facto standard for geospatial mapping.
The whole domain of location-based services is quite hot.   SVG
products are part of that.   You'll find that industries working with
utilities, public safety, etc. are already all over this one.

len

From: Jeff Rafter [mailto:lists@jeffrafter.com]

[len] Roger asked:

>>5. Suppose that I want to create an SVG image of a country.  I cannot imagine handcrafting an XML SVG document.  How do you suggest that I create the SVG document?<<

There are a number of tools that work from images to generate path statements for SVG. Adobe Illustrator is a good example-- anything done there can be saved to SVG. Additionally, there are some great pure SVG tools out there such as XStudio (http://www.evolgrafix.com). I believe there are some opensource converters out there, but don't know them off hand.