   Namespace names and fragment identifiers

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Namespace names and fragment identifiers
  • From: Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@rpbourret.com>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:04:12 -0700

Hi, all!

I haven't had time to read or post for quite a while, but I just got a
namespaces question (sorry) in my inbox and wanted to verify that my
answer is correct. In particular:

Are fragment identifiers significant in namespace names? That is, do
http://www.foo.org/bar and http://www.foo.org/bar# identify different
namespaces?

I believe they do, since:

1) Namespace names are URI (IRI) references.
2) URI (IRI) references allow fragment identifiers.
3) Namespace names are identical only if they match character for character.

Thanks,

-- Ron