   RE: [xml-dev] Blogging Systems

Many thanks, Tim.  That is good advice.

len

From: Tim.Bray@Sun.COM [mailto:Tim.Bray@Sun.COM]On Behalf Of Tim Bray

On Oct 5, 2004, at 1:05 PM, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> Asking here because it is the only place I know to ask.
> This is very general.
>
> Suppose an executive decides to set up blogging for
> corporate employees.   Where do they start?

We had a useful session on this at the Foo Camp.  There are three
interesting issues: 1. internal/external, 2. policy, 3. technology

1. internal/external - I am not aware of any instance of really vibrant
& useful internal blogs.  They do happen, other people tell me about
them, but if you have both external and internal, the external tends to
end up being the big deal.

2. policy - ideally, the draft policy should contain two sentences.
The first says "1. Exercise good judgement"  The second says "2. If you
contravene #1, you're in trouble."  For our effort at Sun, we went
quite a bit further:
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/05/02/Policy - internal
versions have refined that a bit but they're not public yet

3. technology - there's lots of good software out there.  We picked
Roller and it held up pretty well under the strain of 500+ bloggers but
we wanted changes so we hired the author, and now it's going to be
moving forward much faster because it's his day job.
http://www.rollerweblogger.org/page/project

In terms of infrastructure, it won't take much, blogging is a low-rent
web app.

Of course, the hard part is finding the courage to pull the trigger and
let your people speak to the world.  It worked for us but your mileage
may vary. -Tim