   RE: [xml-dev] Which Will Be Released First, the W3C's XQuery Spec or Lon

  • To: "Don Demsak" <donxml@gmail.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Which Will Be Released First, the W3C's XQuery Spec or Longhorn?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:05:19 -0700

>Dare commented that he saw that combination as a detriment to the process, not a benefit.

Please put words in my mouth. I said I don't see any connection between how long it has taken to produce the XQuery spec and the existence of Open Source implementations. Michael Kay has an Open Source implementation of XQuery (Saxon) as does Per Bothner (Qexo) so there already exist multiple Open Source implementations of XQuery which seems to contradict your point.

Sprinkling Open Source pixie dust on a product doesn't suddenly make it more succesful, faster or better.

Also there have been efforts to come up with an XQuery test suite the same way there is a W3C XML Schema test suite. Again my experiences have shown these processes delay the spec not the make it go any faster. However they improve the chances of interoperability.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
If you don't change your direction, you may end up where you were headed.