len

From: Jonathan Robie [mailto:jonathan.robie@datadirect.com]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> But understand the audience and don't play Bach if they came
> to boogie. Could XQuery have come out in successive versions
> with simpler accompaniment?

We now know that we could have done most of the type work later,
releasing a dynamically typed language and adding the static typing in a
subsequent release. The awful fact is, we couldn't know that for sure
until after the static typing was done.

And I think we could have been done 1 to 2 years earlier if we had
learned the lessons we now know about process on a complex spec with
lots of players and lots of industry interest. The awful fact is, we had
to flounder a while to figure some of this out.

Jonathan