   Re: [xml-dev] Which Will Be Released First, the W3C's XQuery Spec or Lon

* Liam Quin wrote:
>>> We actually want people to be able to implement our specs from
>>> the specifications, rather than by telephoning the authors of the
>>> specifications...
>>
>> Interesting! What are "you" going to do to achieve this?
>
>"you" (we) here is the W3C.
>
>Firstly, we require multiple interoperable implementations of a
>specification before it's published as a "Recommendation".
>
>Since interoperability is determined by running a test suite and
>comparing feature by feature, it's far from perfect, but we do try to
>test that the spec can be implemented.
>
>Secondly, we do have XQuery implementations that were made by people who
>are not participating.  So far we only have informal reports on
>interoperability, but it's looking better than we could have hoped.

If that helps to remove the need to have "good access to the working
draft committee" and "telephoning the authors", could you explain why
you or W3C think that such a need exists at all and how these steps
help to remove it? It is not really clear to me.