   RE: [xml-dev] Getting specs/standards right (was UPA and schema handling

> To stick my neck out, I'd argue that it would not be a good
> investment of time for the XQuery WG to write rigorous conformance
> tests until it is much more clear which parts of the spec can be
> effectively implemented

XQuery is not a big language. It is arguably smaller than XSLT 1.0. If
vendors produce implementations that don't conform, this will probably be
because they are trying to do things like translating the language into SQL,
which is never going to work 100%. There's no good reason at all for native
implementations to leave features out, other than vendors thinking their
users don't care.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/