   Re: [xml-dev] Unclear Part of XML 1.1 Specification

Daniel Zingaro wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >  From section 6 of the XML spec, I have learned that:
 > * binds tighter than |
 >  + binds tighter than |
 > but there is no mention of the precedence of the '-' (set difference)
 > operator. At least for me, this makes reading the spec pretty tricky
 > (since I don't
 > know much XML yet). Could someone explain where '-' fits in, perhaps by
 > using the document ::= production, using () to clearly show how '-'
works?

In the uses of - precedence doesn't matter. The - doesn't occur in the
document production. Since you know what set difference is, consider the
production

CharData describes the set of all strings that contain any sequence of
zero or more characters that do not include the '<' or '&' characters,
excluding the set of such strings that contain the substring ']]>'. IOW,
CharData ends before the next occurrence of '<' or '&' and cannot
contain ']]>'.

Bob Foster
http://xmlbuddy.com