   RE: [xml-dev] XML Data Modellling/Linking (was RE: [xml-dev] AfterXQuery

Michael Kay wrote:

> I'm not even comfortable that the hierarchic relationships should be
> special. Why can't we have multiple hierarchic views of the same network?
> Why do all my queries have to change depending on whether my footnotes are
> inline, out-of-line referenced by IDREFs, or in external documents
> referenced by URI? What happened to the old doctrine of data independence?

Hmmm... Sounds like the relational model. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I think this could actually be dealt with at the query language level, where
special child and descendant operators could be understood to follow
relationships, regardless of their type. As for serialization, we're stuck with
a linear hierarchy.

--
Ron