   RE: [xml-dev] After XQuery, are we done?

  • To: "Gavin Thomas Nicol" <gtn@rbii.com>,"XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] After XQuery, are we done?
  • From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@STJUDE.ORG>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:06:35 -0500

Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com> writes:

> On Oct 22, 2004, at 11:22 AM, Michael Kay wrote:
>
> > Hyperlinks belong in the user interface space, XML should represent
> > information independently of the user interface. It was always
> > architecturally wrong to do hyperlinking at the XML level and the
> > attempt should not be repeated.
> >
> > "Modelling relationships in XML" - that would be different.
>
> What is a hyperlink if not a relationship? The interpretation and
> presentation are obviously application-specific, but...

I don't think anyone is debating that a hyperlink describes a particular
limited form of relationship.  There are two issues at hand:

1) how to manage bi-directional relationships?

2) what to do with many to many relationships?

<opinion type="myopic mathematical bias">

The way I see it, the real question in this thread is how do we move
from exchanging limited hierarchical models represented in XML towards
exchanging some more universal graph representations?

</opinion>