   Re: [xml-dev] More questions about conformance and entities

> When an internal parameter entity is defined, you should scan the
> entity value for:
>
>  - character references (which you replace)
>  - parameter entity references (which you replace and rescan, following
>    these same rules)
>  - general entity references (which you check for syntactic correctness,
>    rejecting &*; for example, but don't replace).

This is incredibly helpful. It is essentially the conclusion I had
reached in my last email as well. I think I can finally fix everything
now. And now that it seems so clear I wonder what it was that made me so
confused-- maybe it was that I implemented general entities first and
was transposing some of that behavior incorrectly onto PEs.

> In theory you should check that an entity reference isn't to an
> unparsed entity, but since you may not have seen the entity
> declaration yet you might as well leave it until the reference would
> be replaced (which can only be during the parsing of the instance, or
> during the validation of an attribute default value).

Hmm, are there any applications that check this without having a
reference in the document? RXP for example?

Thanks again,
Jeff Rafter