   RE: [xml-dev] Partyin' like it's 1999

Dunno, Mike.  How many companies do we want to
put out of business this time?  How much code
do we want to obsolete so that applications that
were nearly done are now codeBits (do you want
fries with that?) Is this a case of tidying or
do we get a whole new set of 'inventors'?  Why
not toss out this whole 'pointy' thing and get
back to a clean one pass parse based on proper
data definitions, white space, end of lines,
and curlies (let's Do C!)?

Right...

I read the applied DevCon papers thinking that
this is what geeks do:  out do other geeks. It
may be the case that XSD is overbuilt but there
are alternatives.  It may be the case that XML
is too verbose but there are alternatives.  It
may be that namespaces open portals to hell, but...
well there is no but for that one.  We're once
again stuck with a YAGNI solution that causes
problems once it gets applied outside the narrow
mission for which it was designed (and that will
be the limit to Rutan's solution too.  Ever measure
the radiation endured in suborbital flight through
composites?).

There comes a point where the business execs and
the data owners look back and say "good enough"
and push back because the costs of reinnovation
are restarts in too many places.

So that bit of curmudgeonry aside, I expect some
application language shake-out, but do-over of
XML (a la Park), it ain't gonna happen.  Are there
any non-XML geeks, or are there XML geeks still
trying to make the front pages of C/Net?

len

From: Michael Champion [mailto:michaelc.champion@gmail.com]

We're coming up on the 5-year anniversary of the mother of all xml-dev
permathreads, about whether XML and the related specs are too complex
and in need of  simplification.

<snip/>

So, 5 years later ... is it NOW time to think seriously about cleaning
up the core XML specs  to address the challenges that real-world
non-XMLgeeks have with them (hopefully without throwing out the
interoperability baby with the bathwater), is it time to redouble
efforts to educate non-XMLgeeks on why they should eat their XML 1.0
veggies and stop whining, will better tools and best practice
guidelines solve the problems, or what?