   Re: [xml-dev] After XQuery, are we done?

Hunsberger, Peter wrote:

> I don't agree.  Where are the graph serialization standards?  Where are
> the best practice algorithms for graph traversal?  Where are the
> standardized languages for graph transformation?  Where are the "graph
> databases"?

I think we're talking past each other on two different levels here. I
was talking about the generic principles of handling graphs (which are
well understood, as are those for handling trees) and you were talking
about common, agreed upon formats for data.

I don't think there are any standardized formats for graphs, similar to
what XML is for trees. It might be an interesting project to invent one.
It might even be useful. I suspect it would look a lot like RDF, minus
all the URI baggage.

The graph databases do exist, though I'm hardly enough of an expert to
point to one. The best practice algorithms are well-known too within the
graph theory community, of which I am not a member so again I can't
point to them for you, but they are out there. Ask a practicing
mathematician for details, and then be prepared to listen for a while.

I don't know if there are any standardized languages for graph
traversal. That might also make an interesting project.