   Re: [xml-dev] Partyin' like it's 1999

Sean McGrath wrote:

> The use case here is transmitting XML-based messages from one service to
> another service on a Service Oriented Architecture and doing it in such
> a way that (a) it is possible to be sure that a message routed "straight
> through" has not been tampered with and yet (b) the XML is fully
> visibile - not a lump of attatchment goo - for the purposes of
> intelligent routing.

This sounds like exactly what XML digital signatures is supposed to do.
If that doesn't work, then treat the document as read-only data, and
wrap it in a MIME envelope (a.k.a XOP) along with a digital signature
over the binary form of the data.

> Equally important is the fact that an intermediating service can
> add/modify/delete content from the XML instance without doing damage to
> the untouched parts of the instance.

I'm not sure I see how this is compatible with the need to route
straight through without tampering. But again, this is a use case XML
digital signatures attempts to address. Why is that not working for you?