   RE: [xml-dev] Partyin' like it's 1999

This is exactly what we did.  DOM is that tool.  You might argue that
the default is non-conformant, but that is remedied with a single line
of code.

> > 2.) The limitation in the range of allowed characters in XML is a
> > hassle which the Microsoft XML team sees customers complain about on
> > weekly basis.
>
> W3C heard that too.
>
> XML 1.1 increases the range, and Microsoft was well represented in
> the XML Core Working Group that produced it.  From what you are
> saying I'd expect rapid deployment of XML 1.1 from Microsoft, yes?

Ideally, as rapid as a behemoth the side of Microsoft can deploy it.
When you ship many different products, which all import and/or export
XML, it is important to release support in such a way that it doesn't
encourage incompatibility.  Integration of new standard within a network
of legacy support is just hard.

Personally, if I could ignore existing customers, I'd push XML 1.1 and
Relax-NG everywhere, and replace XML-DOM.  Realistically, I am neither
able to ignore existing customers, nor am I in a position to make such a
call.

-derek