   Csv2dsml

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Csv2dsml
  • From: "Brad Tumy" <btumy@authsec.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:17:01 -0400

I was asked to write a "script" that would take a csv file as input and
create a dsml file as output.  We are receiving employee data as csv and
importing to an identity management system using DSML.  I finished this
last night...pretty small java code...I ended up using StringTokenizer
to capture the columns from each row and then constructed the output as
a String for each element...and then using File.write.  So I ended up
with a write "line" for each XML element.  Not too efficient and not
scaleable...

I looked at some resources on the web...saw a csv2xml...but it looked
like it was taking the column headers from the csv to use as element
names...in this particular situation I had specific element names that
were different then the column headers.  I also looked at java's SAX and
DOM libraries but couldn't quite get a handle on how to leverage these
if I wasn't starting with an XML file.

As anyone else been down this road?  What kind of solutions did you end
up with...also, if anyone knows how to utilize DOM or SAX to create a
XML file from another source I would love to learn how to do this.

Thanks!
Brad