   Re: [xml-dev] Partyin' like it's 1999

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:02:12 +0000, Eric Hanson <elh@cs.pdx.edu> wrote:

> 1. There is no way to look up, discover and retrieve the library
> of resources that support with a namespace-qualified element.
> If you come across a piece of data, there may be hundreds of
> supporting resources like XSL transformations, schemas, xforms,
> text documentation, etc.  We need a way to link the resources to
> the data.

It would seem that there at least a  dozen  ways that could be done
leveraging XML technolgies.  The various flavors of RDDL (one based on
RDF, another on XLink) come to mind, not to mention plain ol'
XPath/XQuery, and the various ways proposed in the web services world
(e.g. UDDI, WS-MetadataExchange).  Arguably this is more or less
exactly what the Semantic Web would enable out of the box.

 If the problem is that there isn't a single, standard, widely
supported way to do this, I understand ... but am not sure that a
one-size-fits-all approach is feasible or even necessarily desirable.
There's probably room for a WS-* one (WS-Mex?), a straight REST/RDF
one, and maybe some conventions for doing that on an XQuery-enabled
database.  And probably several more that others are using
successfully :-)

Can you imagine  standard that would meet your needs and be broad
enough to be widely adopted across the various religious divides (WS
vs REST, document vs data, RDF vs straight XML, etc.) in our little
world?  What would a single standard offer that the existing toolbox
full of stuff that could be applied to this problem would not?