   RE: [xml-dev] Whacky XML editor in Intellij IDEA

> Now while it's weird for me when XML editor forces me to resolve
> namespace URI, apparently many Java devs working in IDEA
> (which is quite
> popular IDE) take it as granted.

It doesn't worry me greatly that the namespace URIs come up in red. It
doesn't stop me editing the file. Apart from this little irritation, it's
actually quite a good editor.

It's less hassle for me than XOM, which rejects a document completely if the
namespace name isn't a valid absolute URI. (Though Elliotte has provided a
coherent defence of that position, it's not what the Namespaces Rec says you
should do, and it's darned inconvenient.)

But this is all symptomatic of the fact that namespaces are a ghastly mess.
The specs simply leave too much room for interpretation.

Michael Kay