   Re: [xml-dev] Number of active public XML schemas

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 11:36:51AM -0800, Ronald Bourret wrote:
[...]
> Not sure why people chose DTDs instead of XML Schemas, but I suspect
> it's either because they were coming from the SGML world or because they
> started work before XML Schemas were a recommendation.

Or because they are easier to understand, or because there is wider
support for them, or because they are more interoperable, or because
books and tutorials on XML usually talk in detail about DTDS, which
are, after all, part of the XML Specification, and often omit
W3C XML Schemas altogether or give only an overview, as they are
too complex to cover in a small (say, under 1,200-page) book in
good detail, and in any case the writer may need to devote equal
coverage to RelaxNG and Schematron.  Wow, was that a sentence?

W3C XML Schema support has been growing over the past couple of
years, and interoperability seems to me to have been increasing,
but I'd still suggest that people use a DTD if it satisfies
their needs.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/