   RE: [xml-dev] Number of active public XML schemas

>  From personal experience, I'd have to say that complex DTDs are
> slightly more penetrable than XSDs. As a user, I'm usually
> just trying
> to find out one or two things and I can do this by chasing entities
> through the DTD with a text editor. I give up completely when
> faced with
> a complex XSD document. (And in neither case can I get an
> overall picture.)

But tools can do a very good job of navigating around an XML Schema. With a
DTD, given the amazingly creative ways people use parameter entities, that's
very much harder: in fact, as you say, searching for strings using a text
editor tends to be all you can do.

Michael Kay