   RE: [xml-dev] Issues with XML and Semantic Web ?

  • To: "Jeff Rafter" <lists@jeffrafter.com>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Issues with XML and Semantic Web ?
  • From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:01:17 -0500

I have begun to see the value of this within the US federal government
space. The federal government is extremely data-rich, and agencies want
to share information to save money, earn efficiencies, and potentially
increase overall data quality (through elimination of redundant, but
possibly inconsistent, data sources). But in order to determine what
information can be shared, it is first necessary to identify what
information (or types of information) are available *to* share.
Ontologies and taxonomies are, I believe, wonderful mechanisms by which
to accomplish this.

In addition to identifying opportunities for information sharing, these
artifacts can also identify opportunities for federated queries (perhaps
using Enterprise Information Integration - EII). Consider a hypothetical
situation in which 2 agencies have arrest information for an individual
- but one has it on a domestic basis, and another on an international
basis. A federated query between these two data sources - which can be
determined by comparing their ontologies and taxonomies - can yield an
arrest record for a given individual on an international basis.

I have found that in educating unfamiliar folks on these artifacts, it
works best to use examples within their own domain. Familiary with their
own data and concepts greatly eases the mental transition.

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World