   Re: [xml-dev] XML Performance in Client-Server Interactions

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:44:29 -0500, Roger L. Costello
<costello@mitre.org> wrote:

<snip>lots of stuff</snip>

> Question: has anyone done a study comparing the time required to compose XML
> by the different databases?

<snip>lots more stuff</snip>

>  I shall restrict the discussion just to storing
> the XML into a database.  This is the mirror of that considered in Part 1,
> where
> we were interested in the time required to construct XML from a database
> query.  The same
> issues arise: what database is being used? Is the database a native XML
> database or
> a relational database?
>
> Question: has anyone done a performance analysis of storing XML into a
> database?

The book "XML Data Management, Native XML and XML-enabled Database
Systems"  [3] (Chaudhri, Rashid, Zicari) talks about some of these
issues, though perhaps not at the level you're interested in.

> [2] Whereas elements have a start-tag/end-tag pair, attributes don't have
> the concept of an "end attribute tag".  Thus, by using attributes
> you can effectively reduce by half the amount of markup.

I can't really imagine this being significant compare to the other
issues you raise?

--
Peter Hunsberger

[3] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201844524/qid=1100210097/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-0617884-3606557?v=glance&s=books&n=507846