   RE: [xml-dev] Excellent Insight on Standards Development vs Invention

  • To: "Michael Champion" <michaelc.champion@gmail.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Excellent Insight on Standards Development vs Invention
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:31:09 -0800

I agree with most of it except for the fact that he actually tries to
compare RSS->Atom to SGML->XML. Trying to fix the problems with RSS by
inventing Atom isn't analogous to fixing SGML by inventing XML, its more
like fixing XML 1.0 by inventing XML 1.1

> - What does this have to do with the main critique of Atom,
> that it just adds to the "standards" confusion without
> solving significant real world problems?  Tim's loyal
> opposition (mainly Dare, AFAIK) aren't saying "add more
> unproven junk into Atom" they're saying  to not bother with
> the Atom format standard  since the RSS mess is ugly but
> under control; rather focus on an Atom API standard, where
> worse is definitely NOT better.

I'd rather not have people tar me with the brush of anti-Atom advocate.
I really don't care enough about this issue to continue participating in
this discussion [which is why I unsubscribed from the various Atom
mailing lists last night]. Tim Bray made a suggestion on the list and I
disagreed with it which basically everyone else who responded on that
thread did as well. I'd rather not be the target of malicious personal
vendattas[0] because of some opinions on yet another XML syndication
format (CDF, RSS 0.91/2.0, RSS 1.0, now Atom...), enjoy the RSS vs. Atom
debates without me.

[0] http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/11/08/AttackMode

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Airplane Law: When the plane you are on is late, the plane you want to

rights.